Due for Thursday 8/27/20 Latin American Geography and Columbian Exchange
1) Now that you have selected a Central American nation for your research projects, begin
researching your paper and presentation. Reliable sources can be found in the library or:
Assigned Nation/Terr: Student Presentation Date
Puerto Rico --->
Dominican Rep. --->
Costa Rica --->
El Salvador --->
2) As you research the various nations of Central America, we'll begin introducing Early
American history. Read this first hand account of the conquest of the Incans & answer
the questions. It pretty accurately captures the brutality and desperation which
allowed the Spanish Conquistadors to defeat a Incan Empire numbering in the millions.
Due for Tuesday 8/25/20- Latin American Geography & the Columbian Exchange
1) Today, students will select a Central American nation to research. You will
prepare a short 10-15 minute presentation on your assigned nation for a future class.
Begin researching your presentation now as it is due starting Wed, 9/2.
A helpful starting resource with maps and national info is found here.
2) We will begin watching the following movie about the Colombian Exchange and
complete the questions. Its the BEST documentary on the after-effects of the
European Invasion of North and South America.
Due for Friday 8/21/20- Latin American Geography
1) To understand Latin American history and culture, you have to understand Latin
American Geography. Begin by identifying the following 32 locations:
Early Civilizations: Mayan Empire Aztec Empire Incan Empire Nazca Empire
North and Central American Nations/Territories:
Mexico Belize Guatemala El Salvador Nicaragua Costa Rica
Honduras Panama Cuba Dominican Republic Puerto Rico USA
Key Cities: Mexico City Belmopan Guatemala City San Salvador Managua
San Jose Tegucigalpa Panama City Havana Santo Domingo San Juan
Oceans/Bays: Atlantic Ocean Gulf of Mexico Caribbean Sea Pacific Ocean
2) Then locate the above locations onto the following map. Please be precise!
If this kid can do it, you can too.
Due for Friday 8/21/20- Welcome! Latin American Geography and current events
1) Study the Central American map locations & complete the map which is due on Friday, 8/21.
2) Research a daily news story from Latin America. You will be expected to have one each day
for the start of class. Please take the time to select of story of consequence, which affects
society in a significant way. You should read a reputable source like BBC Latin America,
the story with your classmates.
If you need help for any reason, please contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org